>>HARUKI MURAKAMI DETOX, MANILA, PHILS.




E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Excellent book alert!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

Bought Mark Haddon's debut novel The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time early this month and finished it a few days ago. Narrated by 15-year-old Christopher Boone, who's autistic, the book is a page turner, a mystery, is quite funny, but at the same time desperately sad too. I hadn't cried this much over a book in a while. When I finished it, I was thinking, What the hell am I gonna read now?! (As if I didn't have piles of unread books lined up, but I didn't want my stay in Christopher's world to end just yet). From Powells:

Mark Haddon

Christopher is quite good at puzzles, at math, and at remembering. He is, however, entirely incapable of delineating among the various grades of human emotion on the scale between happy and sad, which makes for a curious, if not altogether perplexing perspective. The narrator may not recognize them, but emotions lurk behind virtually every clue he uncovers. Still, his pitch never varies. Christopher never slips off course. The author's foremost accomplishment, in a book chock full of them, is to deliver a wrenching domestic fiction in such clipped, deductive prose.

Full article and author interview here. And as if that wasn't good enough, I got this book in excellent condition, hardbound, first edition, for only P120. I love Book Sale! ;) Was also looking through The Guardian's Best Books of 2003, and saw that Peter Carey, among other writers/critics/celebrities, likes the book. In the "Christmas Crackers" section, photographer Jurgen Teller (with a funny Bjork photo at the link) had this to say about his choice, Murakami's After the Quake:

... a really imaginative collection where all the stories are intertwined and mysterious in that Murakami way. His writing takes me to a place where I haven't been before. Some of the stories are reminiscent of Raymond Carver, which is the best praise I can give any writing.

And before I forget...
Happy Holy Daze!

links to this post

0 Responses to “”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About us

Best described as a Murakami detox support group, we're all fans of the quirkily brilliant Japanese author, Haruki Murakami, and writing about such things as films we've seen recently and books we're reading (not to mention meandering musings on the man's work, of course) helps us to pass time while waiting for the next book from Haruki-baby.

Previous posts

Links


ATOM 0.3