>>HARUKI MURAKAMI DETOX, MANILA, PHILS.




E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Goodbye, Elliott Smith

Click here for an Elliott Smith interview from happier times.

Just learned of Elliott Smith's death on the way to work this morning when a friend texted the news. Felt really bad; actually still do. He had these hushed, breezy vocals and I just loved his melancholic Beatlesque melodies. I think I read in some interview before that when he learned of John Lennon's death he was just eleven years old and had loved the Beatles song "A Day in the Life". Another Beatles fave of his was "I'm Only Sleeping", and I felt a corny kinship with him upon learning this cos those were two of my fave Beatles songs too.

Roman Candle

Only have 3 of his 5 albums: the raw and spare debut Roman Candle (1994), a cheap homemade four-track recording; XO (1998); and Figure 8 (2000). Saw his Either/Or (1997) CD at the National Bookstore branch before in Subic (yes, where we saw Christian Bale in the cover of Interview mag, Jessica), but wasn't able to buy it. On the bus ride home from the Baguio workshop in 2000, I'd borrowed my batchmate Ernan's copy of XO-- and ended up having it with me for months cos I'd forgotten to take it out of my discman when we got back. The CD sleeve wasn't with me, so I just knew that I loved track 4, track 5, track 14, and so on.

Now I can't help thinking of that Hole song "Boys on the Radio" off Celebrity Skin: "All the boys on the radio / They crash and burn / They fold and fade so slow." And I remember Kurt Cobain and Jeff Buckley and all the others all over again.

And it's just so strange... how can you die from a self-inflicted knife wound in the chest? Through sheer will? It seems pretty hard to die that way. Did he hate his life that much? :-(

links to this post

0 Responses to “”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About us

Best described as a Murakami detox support group, we're all fans of the quirkily brilliant Japanese author, Haruki Murakami, and writing about such things as films we've seen recently and books we're reading (not to mention meandering musings on the man's work, of course) helps us to pass time while waiting for the next book from Haruki-baby.

Previous posts

Links


ATOM 0.3